The Indian Head Massage Certificate is taught in the style and with the ‘holistic’ approach that is at the core of all Meridian Courses. You will learn to work with traditional Indian Head Massage techniques, that are adapted to meet the individual needs of clients. We encourage you to acknowledge and work with the ‘whole’ person - the mind, physical body, emotional self, as well as the more subtle energies. We encourage you to work ‘with’ your client, not ‘on’ your client and using your intuition, work form the heart. Indian Head Massage appears to have a calming or invigorating effect, support stress relief and can be used to work complementary, alongside other forms of hands on, or medical treatments. It is a very versatile treatment and requires minimum ‘specialist’ equipment.
The Indian Head Massage Certificate - is accredited by the FHT (Federation of Holistic Therapies). The FHT is the UK and Ireland's largest Professional Association, supplying membership and insurance, for complementary therapists. For more information visit www.FHT.org.uk
The course is part-time run over 4 days. This will include a supervised clinic practice session. The course is held in Birmingham or Solihull with a maximum group size of 14 students which allows for a good tutor student ratio. There are a variety of teaching methods, which includes lectures but these are aimed at being experiential and participative. During the course students will practice Indian Head Massage with each other.
The time between workshops allows you to practice and complete theory / written assignments, a case study project, plus a minimum of 25 Indian Head massages. Students will be expected to keep comprehensive clinic notes which will include demonstrating reflective practice.
The course aims to equip you in theory, practice, and confidence to work with Indian Head Massage as you continue and develop on your journey as a massage/complementary therapist to a high professional standard. To achieve this there is close supervision and support throughout, encouraging reflective practise and development of the therapeutic relationship. The course includes:
Indian Head Massage Theory
- History and development of Indian Head Massage
- Understanding of the main Doshas
- Understanding and identifying chakras
- Benefits of Indian Head Massage
- Developing comprehensive client records
Therapeutic relationship and Practitioner self-awareness
- Developing personal reflective practice, your response/reaction when working with client's
- Monitoring self-care and body use
- Appropriate client therapist relationship
- Creating safe space
- Creating rapport with clients
- Developing good listening skills (verbal and none verbal)
- Developing good communication skills
- Working with intention and intuition
- Developing awareness around client's response.
Massage, Body work techniques and body use
- Use of equipment and massage mediums
- Safe body use – movement and rhythm
- Developing Indian Head Massage sequence
- Working with Indian Head Massage strokes, stretches, passive movements, stillness and Chakra’s
- Adding new techniques to your existing massage skills
- 20 hours of massage practice
- Supervised clinic practice
Assessment and clinic practice
- Assessment and creating safe treatment plans
- Revise and expand understanding around contra indications
- Revise Health and Safety at work
- Safe practice and hygiene
- Revise and expand understanding around contra actions
- Develop and advise appropriate aftercare
- Code of ethics for practitioners and PA
- Revise legislation and Health and Safety
- Working competently in private practice
- Integrating Indian Head Massage to existing business
Anatomy, Physiology and Pathology
Aimed at revising and expanding your existing AP&P knowledge and the physiological effects of massage and body work techniques. Further exploration of the pathology of conditions.
Examination and Completion Requirements
- Internal assessment requirements: assessment of Indian Head Massage on a client. Homework assignments on revising AP&P, Theory of Indian head Massage, Benefits and contra – actions and adding to your existing therapies. 25 hours massage practice. Case study and presentation.
- Final examination requirements: individual practical with an unknown client and written theory exam
Students will be set homework from each workshop. As well as the formal examination and completion requirements listed above, to support student learning there will be informal assessments and feedback throughout by the tutors, peers and by student self-evaluation. Within this there will be at least one individual tutorial, though students will have plenty of opportunity to access the tutor on a one-to-one basis due to the small group size.
Suggested Book List
The suggested reading list with set course books will be given before the beginning of the course and are not included in the course fee. The course manual is included in the fee.
£295 which includes, course workbook, on-going student support and supervision throughout the course. It also includes exam fees. The deposit it £100 and the remaining fee can be spread over the duration of the course. As the course is only currently open to therapists with an qualification in AP&P level 3 or above, you will be expected to have current membership to a Professional Association and practitioner insurance. You will also need a current first aid certificate.
To take part in this course students will need:
- To be 18 or over and must be able to perform the massage techniques listed in the syllabus.
- A good understanding of English for technical detail taught
- A qualification in bodywork and Anatomy, Physiology and Pathology, minimum level 3.
- Commitment, interest and enthusiasm for the course subject and desire to develop personally as a therapist.
How to apply
Simply contact us for an application form or Print an Application Form HERE and return to us with your payment or method of payment. Without the deposit, which is non-refundable or full payment we can not reserve your place on the course. Payments can be made by paypal or cheque payable to jlmeridian. Although there is no interview to take part in this course, please do not hesitate to contact us if you have not trained with Meridian or another MTI school so that we may answer any questions you have.
We look forward to working with you